Every club/society will host their Annual General Meetings (AGM) slightly differently to suit their own needs. Over the final few months of the academic year societies should start to consider the process for electing their new Office Bearers and beginning compiling any handovers for their new incoming Office Bearers. The easiest time to do this would be at the end of semester two in March as this gives time for society Office Bearers to tie up loose ends.
Throughout the year your Office Bearers should compile a handover for the future office bearer elected to their position. This should contain useful contacts and include administration of the club/society bank account – if the signatories for this are not changed over then your new Office Bearers could become locked out of the bank account!
What is an AGM?
An AGM is the opportunity to:
- Inform members what has been achieved over the past academic year.
- Elect a new committee.
- Approve the minutes of the previous AGM.
- Present the President’s & Vice President's report to the members.
- Present the Treasurer’s report to the members.
- Present the Secretary’s report to the members.
- Discuss any other business that is relevant.
Please remember that only Glasgow University student members are permitted a vote at any general meeting or AGM, and that Associate members do not have voting rights.
General accounts need to be made available to all members at the AGM and it’s important for the club’s finances be transparent to its membership.
It is part of the President’s role to chair the AGM and the comittee's to ensure that, as they are handing over the reins of the society to a new executive, all club/society business is dealt with. This includes:
- ensuring the full handover of any finances and bank accounts to the new Office Bearers.
- ensuring that all social media or email accounts are handed over to the new Office Bearers.
- ensuring that the SRC is informed of any changes to the club/society by sending an updated Office Bearer form to firstname.lastname@example.org
The President can work with the Secretary to organise upcoming AGMs. We have provided some helpful information on how the Secretary can help with this task.
Now more than ever, clubs are using online platforms to hold their AGMs. As we are discovering there are plenty of new and innovative ways you can keep in touch with your members. Through these same platforms you would be able to host an AGM.
For video calling
- Zoom (Great for large groups).
- Microsoft Teams – This is available as part of your Office 365 account as a student
If you have questions about online AGMs you can email email@example.com.
Clubs and Socities now have the option to display there AGM has event on their club page. For more details on how to do this please email firstname.lastname@example.org