Your Personal Data
Glasgow University Students’ Representative Council (GUSRC) will be what is known as the ‘Data Controller’ of your personal data processed in relation to the various services and activities performed by GUSRC for students at the University of Glasgow (further details are given below). This privacy notice will explain how GUSRC will process your personal data.
What data we collect and why we need it
In all cases, we will only collect data that we need in order to provide and oversee services that you have requested. We may collect this from you directly, or be provided with data by the University of Glasgow under a data-sharing agreement.
We collect basic personal data such as name, student ID, contact details and programme of study in order to carry our activities such as:
- Administration of GUSRC elections and verification of candidates and nominees’ eligibility.
- Administration of Clubs and Societies affiliation, and recording Office Bearer status for your Higher Education Achievement Report.
- Provision of volunteering opportunities and recording volunteering activity for your Higher Education Achievement Report.
- Administration of the class rep training programme and verification of attendance at training for the Higher Education Achievement Report.
- Administration of our other services such as the Student Job Hub and Second-hand Bookshop.
We may also collect equal opportunities monitoring information which includes special category information such as race or disability. This information is collected in such a way that you cannot be identified from it.
The Advice Centre
The Advice Centre has its own separate privacy notice, which you can view here: https://www.glasgowunisrc.org/privacy/advice/
Legal basis for processing your data
We must have a legal basis for processing all personal data. We will have a data-sharing agreement with the University of Glasgow.
Our legal basis for processing your data is ‘legitimate interest’ – where we require access to data in order to provide our core services.
Access and Security
- All the personal data you submit is processed by staff at Glasgow University Students’ Representative Council (GUSRC) in the United Kingdom.
- The web interface for our databases is not accessible from the internet, only specific pre-approved IP addresses. Furthermore, connections are encrypted.
- The system that hosts our databases is maintained and secured according to best practices.
- Remote access to the system is cryptographically authenticated and connections to it are encrypted.
- Physical access to the system is restricted.
- We do not sell or otherwise transfer your data to anyone else.
How long do we keep it for
As a general rule we keep your personal information only for as long as we need it. However, where we have statutory obligations to keep personal information for a longer period or where we may need your information for a longer period in case of a legal claim, then the retention period may be longer. After this time, data will be securely deleted.
If you need more information about how long we will keep your data in particular circumstances, please ask us.
What are your rights?
You can request access to the information we process about you at any time. If at any point you believe that the information we process relating to you is incorrect, you can request to see this information and may in some instances request to have it restricted, corrected or, erased. You may also have the right to object to the processing of data and the right to data portability.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal data, please follow our Complaints Procedure.
If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are not processing your personal data in accordance with the law, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) https://ico.org.uk/