Roadtrip! Here’s what you and your society need to do in order to be eligible to hire the SRC minibus.
The SRC has one minibus available for club and society use.
To be eligible to book the minibus, clubs/societies must have –
- at least two currently listed Office Bearers that have attended a current induction for the academic year the booking is to take place in
- a currently listed Office Bearer sign the booking form
- handed in a £200 deposit to the Welcome Point (society cheque preferred but cash accepted)
- two drivers who have completed the mandatory university minibus test.
The minibus cannot be hired for personal use or for use in any third party groups’ events as this voids the insurance and can jeopardise your club/society’s use of the minibus in the future.
BOOKING THE MINIBUS
If a club meets all the criteria the booking process can begin.
A currently listed Office Bearer can contact firstname.lastname@example.org or attend the Welcome Point to check if the bus is free on the required dates but all forms must be completed online. A licence check is required to be conducted in person at the SRC Welcome Point following instructions emailed out to you.
Provisional booking – a currently listed Office Bearer can provisionally book the bus. Provisional bookings must be completed by the end of the day if the booking is in the same week, or within 5 days if the booking is more than one week in advance. Bookings that have not been completed within the required time frame will be cancelled.
To request a booking, please contact email@example.com so we can check your request details and provide you with a booking form.
To finalise a booking, both drivers must have the following:
- Full UK driving licence
- A valid GUID Matriculation card
- A DVLA issued real-time licence code provided to Welcome Point staff who will use this to run a real-time licence check.
If there is some time (more than 21 days) between your booking and the date of departure we require you to provide us with another DVLA real-time licence code within 7 days of your booking. You don’t need to come in person for this and can email it directly to us if you have completed all the other paperwork.
A minibus booking takes some time to complete, so please ensure you make any booking requests with as much advanced notice as possible.
We strongly advise that you book the bus well in advance to avoid disappointment.
UNIVERSITY MINIBUS DRIVING TEST
The SRC can arrange for eligible students to sit the university minibus test. There are two available spaces each week. They always take place at 1pm on Tuesdays.
To be eligible to sit the university minibus test, students must:
- Be 21 years of age or over
- Have held a UK* Driving Licence for 2 years (manual vehicle)
- Preferably have no points on their driving licence**
*EU and international students must also have obtained a UK equivalent licence and held that for one year.
**If a student has points on their licence it will be at the discretion of the university garage whether they are allowed to take the test.
To book a university minibus test eligible students must
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a test booking form
- Complete the online minibus test booking form and the relevant insurance forms provided by the SRC via email.
- Bring their student card and driving licence to the Welcome Point for a licence check once you are advised to do so by the SRC
- Provide us with a DVLA issued real-time licence code.
For any questions relating to SRC minibus hire, please contact email@example.com.